Starting with a tiny Root Beer stand in California, a&w breakfast grew into the nation’s first franchise restaurant chain. Along the way it popularized drive-in restaurants and made Root Beer Floats a nationwide – and international – treat. Even Marriott hotels traces its roots to A & W. 100 many years of history is, well, plenty of history. But here’s a good beginning.
1) A&W was founded on June 20, 1919 in Lodi, California, using the first mug of Root Beer served at a homecoming parade for World War I veterans; it absolutely was the first U.S. chain restaurant to expand to Southeast Asia (1963).
2) A&W Restaurants is older than sliced bread (1919 vs. 1928).
3) A&W invented the initial Bacon Cheeseburger in 1963 (designed by Dale Murder who became president and is also now chairman from the board).
4) A&W introduced Rooty the fantastic Root Bear as its mascot in 1973.
5) A&W Restaurants manufactured 150,000 glass mugs for 2019, saving approximately 180 paper cups per mug.
6) A&W Restaurants has raised over $800,000 for veterans-related charities since 2014.
7) California hosts the most A&W Restaurants with approximately 70 locations.
a. 2nd most: Wisconsin (approximately 50 locations)
b. 3rd most: Michigan (approximately 40 locations)
8) Gallons of the&W Root Beer consumed in 2018 (domestic and international): 1,109,934
9) Pounds of Cheese Curds purchased in 2018 (U.S. only): 2,060,988
10) There are nearly 1,000 A&W restaurants worldwide, with approximately 600 within the U.S.
On June 20, A&W had become the first American restaurant chain to change 100. The initial frosty mug of Root Beer was served in Lodi, California at a parade honoring World War I veterans. “A&W includes a long background of supporting veterans,” said A&W CEO Kevin Bazner. “With this being our centennial year, National Root Beer Float Day is extra special.”
This is A&W’s seventh annual National Root Beer Float Day celebration as well as the third year it provides partnered with DAV. A&W and DAV aspire to raise $200,000 for your organization, which serves several million veterans annually. Fundraising began in late June. The $150,000 A&W raised for DAV in 2018 provided an estimated $6 million in direct advantages to veterans.
“Our partnership having a&W keeps growing annually, and that we truly appreciate its support for our ill and injured veterans,” said Marc Burgess, DAV National Adjutant and CEO. “The needs of our American heroes are xagtcr as great today as a century ago, and that we are very pleased to again be working with AAndW on National Root Beer Float Day.”
Since 2013, A&W has raised more than $800,000 for veterans groups during National Root Beer Float Day.
Regarding AAndW – America’s first and oldest restaurant chain, a&w still makes Root Beer fresh in each restaurant from real cane sugar, water along with a proprietary blend of herbs, bark, spices and berries that are served in a frosty mug together with burgers, fries, chicken tenders and other All American Food® favorites. You will find nearly one thousand locations worldwide.